Whether or not you started blogging to earn an income, if you have products, one of your goals is earning income through your blog. Many bloggers struggle with the marketing side of monetizing their own products because they’re not tuned in to these 3 ways to increase customer conversions.
How to Increase Customer Conversions
1. Set up one-time offer funnels
When you have a free download, set up a one time offer that displays immediately after the visitor enters their name and email. Getting them to make a purchase while they’re already interested takes them from the mindset of “Do I want to buy from this person?” to “How much do I want to spend with this person?”
Here are some guidelines for setting up one time offer (OTO) funnels:
- Make the product offer relevant to the topic of the freebie they just claimed
- Offer the product – this time only – at 50-70% off the normal price of the product
- If they say “no thanks” take them straight to the free download file they originally claimed, so they don’t have to wait and go back to email to find it.
2. Take away related articles
All of us have seen, and probably use, related articles at the bottom of our posts. We want visitors to keep clicking, read more content, right? Or do we want sales instead?
What might happen if you took off “related articles” and instead sent them to “related products”? Or listed related or recommended product solutions a the end of each post?
This can be done with either adding code to a below content widget or by using a plugin like “WP Related Posts and Products”
3. Have an exit pop up
I know, many of us don’t like exit pop-ups, but they work. Record your numbers now, then set up an exit pop up. Give it a month or two and compare the statistics. I think you’ll find it makes a difference. You can google exit pop-up plugins for one that plays well with your theme, or use the Zotabox service (free or paid).
And a bonus way to increase customer conversions:
4. Use up-sells
The numbers say that it’s easier to get an up-sell than a new sale. It’s easier to get a current customer to purchase something else than to acquire another brand new customer. If you can link your products in your shop to a related product and or offer an up-sell, you can increase your conversion rate significantly.
If you’re using WooCommerce, one of the most popular shopping carts for WordPress, here’s how you add an up-sell or cross-sell to a product:
- Go to WooCommerce > Products and select the product on which you’d like to show an up-sell or cross-sell.
- Scroll down to the Product Data panel.
- Select the Linked Products tab in the left menu.
- Add the product you wish to link to by searching for it.
Which of these four ways will you be implementing next to increase customer conversions in your business? I’d encourage you to pick one to focus on, recording your current stats when you start so you have a comparable number to look at in a few weeks to see how it’s working.